Food Stamps

Oklahoma Food Stamp Program


The Oklahoma Department of Human Services oversees the Food and Nutrition program information, also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). In Oklahoma, SNAP regularly helps thousands of families get the right nutrition for their families. Low-income households are able to provide healthy, balanced diets with these federal funds, as administered by the USDA. Monthly benefits are distributed to eligible families in Oklahoma who have an electronic benefits transfer card (EBT card). With this card, recipients can visit any grocery store that accepts food stamps and use the card much like a debit card. SNAP is a partnership between federal and state as well as Oklahoma State University-Cooperative Extension Service, Oklahoma Department of Human Services and the USDA Food and Nutrition Service. SNAP education also aims to help recipients benefit from information about food and finding the right budget to prepare healthy meals for themselves and their dependents. To read more about the program or to look at the program’s guidelines, you can visit the Department of Human Services Food and Nutrition online.

Applying for Food Stamps

You can fill out an application for food assistance at any local human services center. You may also contact a human services center by telephone to receive a form in the mail. Social security offices and one=stop centers also have forms available. You may also download and print one online by clicking here. To fill out the application, you need to know some basic information about yourself and those living in your household. For example, you’ll need your name and contact details, but you will also need the names, birth dates and social security numbers of those living in your household. During the application process, you must also prove your eligibility, which starts with information about your income and assets. If you make more than $2,000 a month and have less than three persons living in your household, you probably will not qualify for food stamps. However, cases are considered individually, and you may be able to prove further financial aid to your caseworker during an interview. Every applicant must also go through an interview, in which you must prove your identification, address, social security numbers for yourself and other persons in your home, proof of income, medical bills and proof of legal alien status if not a U.S. citizen. The application process tends to take about 30 days to complete.

Receiving Food Stamps

Income and household size are the determining factors for whether you will receive food assistance. You can talk to your caseworker about the income cap and asset limits that decide who receives aid. There are others who simply cannot receive aid, such as workers on strike and non-U.S. citizens. You must also be a resident of Oklahoma to receive food stamps. Once you receive food stamps, you will receive an approval letter stating your benefit amount and what date to expect benefits each month. You will also receive an EBT card, which will electronically deliver your benefits so that you can use them like a debit card at a super market or grocery store. There are some products that you cannot buy with your card, including paper goods, cleaning supplies, household items, personal care items, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, vitamins or medicine, and hot meals that are prepared for immediate consumption. In some cases, for elderly persons over the age of 60, Meals on Wheels will accept food stamps.

Finding Food Service Locations

SNAP is the federal name for the food assistance programs. Every state has multiple SNAP locations. In fact, every county should have multiple locations where you can use your card. You can find specific locations near you using the SNAP retailer locator on the federal website. To contact a local Human Services Center, you should consult this online directory and find a county office near you. If you have questions or want to talk to someone at the Department of Human Services, you can call (405) 521-3646.



What income do you need to have in order to be eligible for food stamps in Oklahoma?

Like in most states, your monthly/yearly income must be below a certain amount in order to qualify for food stamps in Oklahoma. Below is a list of the maximum allowed yearly income in order to qualify for food stamps in relation to the number of people in the household.
1 $15,444
2 $20,826
3 $26,208
4 $31,590
5 $36,972
6 $42,354
7 $47,749
8 $53,157

Are there other eligibility requirements?

Yes. Besides the maximum allowed income, in order to be considered eligible to receive SNAP benefits you must also be a legal alien or US Citizen. There are also work requirements for able-bodied adults ages 18 to 50.

How often do the maximum income levels change?

The maximum income levels needed in order to qualify for food stamps are reviewed and updated on January of each year. The income levels are updated using federal guidelines.

Can certain expenses increase the amount of food stamps I can get?

Yes. If you can prove you have certain expenses, you may qualify to receive more SNAP benefits. These expenses include: child support payments, child care expenses, medical expenses (if you or someone in your household is elderly or disabled), shelter and utilities.