This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency. Learn more here.

Food Stamps


The US government provides a variety of assistance program to individuals and families who are in need of proper food and education about nutrition. Food stamps and WIC are two of these programs. Food stamps have now officially changed their name to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and provides benefits to be used for purchasing healthy food. The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program is for mothers, children, and pregnant women to get nutrition education and nutritional food for themselves and their children. You may be eligible for one or the other, though some families are able to get both.

How to receive food stamps

To receive food stamps under the SNAP program, you will need to meet their eligibility requirements and apply for the program. Eligibility includes earning a small income compared to many people are in your household, not being an able-bodied person or someone able-bodied that is registered for work and actively looking for employment, and being a US citizen or legal non-citizen living in the US. Depending on your county and state, you can either apply with the Social Security office or the Department of Health and Human Services. You can find out if you qualify online and even fill out the preliminary application there. Other methods of applying include by phone, fax, mail, or in person. Submit the proper documents such as proof of your name and address, income, employment, number of people in your home, and residence, and a caseworker will contact you. If approved, the food stamps benefit will appear on an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card at the beginning of each month.

How to receive WIC

You may also qualify for WIC, aside from the food stamps program. To qualify for WIC benefits, you will to either be pregnant (and able to provide documentation verifying your pregnancy) or given birth to a child. You are eligible for WIC benefits if you are pregnant or have children 5 years old or younger. You must also live in the state where you apply for the WIC program and show documentation showing your current income. If you are eligible for other government programs like food stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or Medicaid, you are automatically eligible for WIC. The application process for WIC is the same as food stamps; you must fill out an application, go through an interview process and provide the necessary documentation. They will need a utility bill with your name and current address, and documentation verifying your children and ages or your pregnancy.


There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.

Find Food Stamps Office Locations

Additional Reading