This site is privately owned and is neither affiliated with, nor endorsed by, nor operated by any government agency.

Food Stamps


If you’ve been told that your family’s income is too high to receive food stamps, then you may not have all the information about how to get food assistance. While military families don’t often get on food stamp programs, there is actually a little known food assistance program called the Military’s Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance (FSSA) program. FSSA was created for military families that don’t qualify for food stamps because they make too much money. Like food stamps, this program offers financial assistance to help out with the cost of groceries for military spouses and dependents. You can actually apply for this food assistance program online.

Who Can Apply

While for regular food stamps your gross income is used to decide eligibility, FSSA depends on other factors. The program is only available for service members on activity duty who are receiving a partial or full BAS. That doesn’t include any soldiers who are in basic training. Additionally, if you are receiving non-pay status, you are not eligible for FSSA. Your income factors in only after the housing allowance is taken out of what you make. Other income is also not counted, such as college scholarships, college grants, income tax returns, and settlements

How Benefits are Delivered

You don’t receive an EBT card with benefits through FSSA. You receive extra cash on your check from FSSA, however. Families are eligible to receive up to $1,500 extra per month for some states through FSSA. You can also receive this money even if you are active duty overseas. You can see specific information on how much you can receive by going here.

How to Apply

You can apply online for this program through You will only be able to access the program and apply if you are an active duty service member, a member of the National Guard or Army Reserve. If you don’t want to apply online, you can always pick up an application through your supervising officer or the Community Service Financial Counselor for your branch.

What You Need to Apply

You need to supply some personal information in order to apply. Income tax returns, income of students under 18, insurance settlements, loans, grants, and scholarships are not included in this assessment. You need to supply your social security number, military ID, and other identification to verify your status and citizenship. You may also have to fill out other forms for additional family members who are living in your household.


There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Find Food Stamps Office Locations

Additional Reading